Congress Signals to Exit HPC Talks Over ‘Competing Interests’
Yash Khajuria
Leh, Sept 15: Amid intensifying political maneuvering in Ladakh, the Congress party on Monday declared that it is prepared to withdraw from the ongoing deliberations of the High-Powered Committee if objections persist over the participation of political representatives.
Senior Congress leader and Councillor Smanla Dorjey cited the recent resolution passed by the Apex Body Leh and the CWC, underscoring that Congress does not wish to be perceived as an impediment in the negotiations with the Centre over Ladakh’s demand for constitutional safeguards under the Sixth Schedule.
He accused the Bharatiya Janata Party of indulging in what he termed “petty politics” by twisting former MP Thupstan Chhewang’s reference to “competing interests” in his resignation letter. “Congress has no competing interests. We are willing to step aside if anyone believes political parties should not be part of the HPC,” Dorjey said, seeking to blunt the BJP’s narrative.
He further stated that Congress leaders are even prepared to resign from their political affiliations if it helps achieve the broader objective of securing the Sixth Schedule and Statehood. He argued that despite repeated categorical statements by Home Minister Amit Shah ruling out the Sixth Schedule for Ladakh, BJP functionaries have been circulating narratives around Article 371 or other constitutional provisions. “Let it be known that Congress is ready to pull out of the HPC deliberations if required, but we will not countenance any attempt to weaken or sabotage Ladakh’s collective struggle for the Sixth Schedule,” Dorjey maintained.
Raising pointed questions about the BJP’s position, Dorjey asked, “If ‘competing interests’ is such a genuine concern, then in what capacity will LAHDC Chairman Adv. Tashi Gyalson join the talks? Does this not amount to the same competing interests?”
Recalling past negotiations, he noted that Ladakhi leaders had earlier assured the people that 1989 would be accepted as the cut-off year for domicile certificates, only for the Centre to impose a 15-year cut-off instead. “This time we will not allow such political gimmicks. Since Thupstan Chhewang has stepped aside, we too are willing to do the same. But if Sonam Wangchuk is excluded, it will raise serious doubts that the BJP intends to mortgage Ladakh’s aspirations to capitalist interests. Such a betrayal will be opposed tooth and nail. Our position is clear—only the Sixth Schedule for Ladakh can carry these talks forward. If the panel is stacked with BJP affiliates, it is for the people to judge the politics behind this so-called theory of competing interests,” he remarked.
Dorjey also pressed for the inclusion of climate activist and education reformer Sonam Wangchuk in the HPC, contrasting Congress’s approach with that of the BJP. “We have the highest regard for Thupstan Chhewang regardless of political differences. In his resignation letter, Chewang, with tears in his eyes, appealed to Sonam Wangchuk to join the Apex Body and participate in talks with the Ministry of Home Affairs. The BJP has shown no regard even for the appeal of its own former parliamentarian,” he observed.
Emphasizing Wangchuk’s credibility, Dorjey said the activist had earned the moral mandate to represent Ladakh after risking his life in a 35-day hunger strike earlier this year. “The Centre cannot turn a deaf ear to the voice of a man who sacrificed his health for Ladakh’s cause. Sonam Wangchuk must be part of the HPC if the aspirations of the people are to be represented sincerely,” Dorjey asserted.
